Pre- and post-show opportunities for you to engage with the artists, the work onstage and the theatre itself.
Following performances of Segerstrom and Argyros productions, these informal sessions begin approximately five minutes after the end of the performance and typically last 20-30 minutes.
- Director/Designer Conversations: A Q&A with the design team and the director.
- Actor Conversations: Moderated post-show conversations and Q&A sessions with the cast.
- Performance Perspectives: A presentation and discussion surrounding a theme specific to each play.
- The Deep Dive: It’s your conversation. Stay after the performance to share your thoughts on the play and hear from fellow audience members. You’re free to express yourself without artists present in this respectful, no-holds-barred session hosted by SCR’s artistic staff.
- Playwright/Dramaturg Conversations: Get insight into the process of writing and developing the plays with these moderated conversations with playwrights and/or dramaturgs.
2021-22 Season Dates:
Inside the Season
Join us for interactive Saturday morning seminars that reveal secrets and offer fascinating insights into our season productions. Members of the literary staff guide these lively two-hour sessions that feature in-depth interviews with cast members, people from the creative team and artisans from SCR's production staff. Discover how the industry's most accomplished theatre professionals breathe life into plays on the Segerstrom and Julianne Argyros stages. Audience questions and comments are encouraged, and you might even get invited onstage to explore the set!
Inside the Season takes place from 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., on select Saturdays during the run of a show. Tickets are $12 per session and may be purchased in advance as well as at the door.
Join or renew your Friends of SCR membership with a gift of $75 or more to receive complimentary access to ALL of the Inside the Season discussions. To book your complimentary tickets, please visit or call the Box Office at (714) 708-5599 and identify yourself as a Friend of SCR.
2021-22 Inside the Season Dates:
A SHOT RANG OUT
Saturday, Oct. 30, 2021
During the first hour, we’ll talk with lighting designer Lonnie Rafael Alcaraz. Alcaraz has designed productions at SCR since 1994 including Outside Mullingar, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, The Whipping Man, Three Days of Rain and La Posada Mágica, among many others. Most recently, Alcaraz designed the inaugural Outside SCR productions of American Mariachi and You’re a God Man, Charlie Brown. Other credits include productions at Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Portland Center Stage and Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park. Alacaraz is also the head of the lighting design program at the University of California, Irvine.
During the second hour, we’ll talk with Artistic Director David Ivers, who plays the role of John. Ivers is responsible for the overall artistic operation of SCR. The 2019-20 season was the first he programmed here, and he directed She Loves Me (2020), and the 2021 Pacific Playwrights Festival reading of Coleman ’72 by Charlie Oh. Prior to SCR, Ivers was artistic director for Arizona Theatre Company and, before that, served more than 20 years as an actor and director at Utah Shakespeare Festival, with the last six as artistic director. He was also a resident artist at Denver Center Theatre Company for a decade, acting in and/or directing more than 40 plays.